Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Tree Debate

Real or artificial?

Balsam or Frasier Fir?

Pre-cut or cut your own?

Matt and I have different opinions on the importance of the tree selection process. As in, I care a lot and he could really care less. At least we both agree on a real tree. Whew.

When the tree discussion came around this year, Matt suggested we drive over to the mall around the corner because they were selling trees in their parking lot. Excuse me? I didn't move to Vermont to buy a tree in a parking lot. Don't get me wrong...I've bought many a beautiful tree in the past from the grocery store or Home Depot parking lot. I'm just not doing it this year.

When we moved here, I had our tree buying experience all planned out in my head. I envisioned us headed out the weekend after Thanksiving, riding in a sleigh through the snow, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate on our way to cut down the perfect tree. I had the perfect Christmas Tree Farm picked out about a 25 minute drive from our house.

Well...the first weekend of December rolled around and there was no snow. The Christmas season only lasts for so long and Matt was leaving to go out of town for a few days, and I knew I couldn't wait for another whole week for the tree.

On Saturday, we decided to go hiking (the opposite direction from my dream farm) and Matt made it clear he REALLY wasn't excited about driving all the way back past our house for the tree purchase. Then we saw this sign as we were leaving.




$20? Sounded good to Matt. I think we paid $50 last year. Right on the way home? Sounded even better. That way he wouldn't miss the SEC Championship game. I wasn't sure what a Blue Spruce was but agreed to go look.

We found a great selection of cut your own trees. I was happy because at least we would get to pick and cut our own.



After MUCH deliberation I finally decided on one. I had a list of qualifications: it had to be short enough for our low ceilings and skinny enough to fit in front of the window in the den, plus have no dead needles on the inside.





Matt got to work cutting it down, which, in the moment, made me feel a little guilty. Images of Matt taking it to the dump after Christmas flashed in my head. I quickly pushed them away....He he is...working hard.





Then the tree had to get to the truck somehow. I supervised :)





Now. I mentioned I had no experience with the Blue Spruce. Have you? They're very pretty and have the blue-green looking needles. They're also VERY prickly. Please read this description. It is absolutely accurate.
Care should be taken when handling blue spruce as the needles are very sharp and ones arms will look like you went and had acupuncture done on yourself. It is best to have a long sleeved sweater on while planting the larger trees.


Those prickly needles made decorating the tree pretty tricky. I had to wear gloves while I put the lights on. No kidding. I also noticed the tree was a little thin...I hoped once I put the ornaments on it wouldn't be as noticable. Not the case. We have a little bit of a Charlie Brown situation going on but that's OK : Matt also thinks our angel looks a little too "beefy" for the tree. Ha. Oh well. There's always next year.

I found it hard to take a picture of the tree lit up but here's my best attempt.



2 comments:

  1. You two make me smile...I love it. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the tree looks great. And for $20, you can't beat it! Who knew that the Blue Spruce would be so prickly?! Beautiful tree :)

    ReplyDelete