Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Garden Update

Due to the flooding, the professional gardener (aka my mom) has not been able to make it back up to VT to put in her garden. She finally got desperate enough to ask me to do it for her :)

After a winter and spring of sitting empty, weeds took over the raised beds.




I spent a long while pulling those out and turning over the soil. Then I added a little bit of "Moo Doo" (not kidding), and got to planting.

My mom drew me a "map" of her garden and told me what to purchase and where to place it. We have cherry and slicing tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, basil, chives, a sweet red pepper, and (fingers crossed!) lots of zinnias for picking!

I decided to do this on the hottest day of the year yet - it was for real 90 degrees. Whew. Here was the finished product - those plants look thirsty!



We've had some rain since then - I never thought I'd want to see more rain but it now means I don't have to water :)

I still have some beautifying to do - weeds around the fence, hay between the beds, etc. but looks now like my mom might take over some of those jobs!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this blog! I absolutely love it :) I'm currently having my kitchen, family room and dining area redone as well the bedrooms upstairs. Although I can't wait for the final results, having renovations done is a pain in the butt.
    I love your fireplace idea. I had a similar idea about the shelving system but didn't know if it would look nice with low shelves. I've gotten my carpenter to take a look at yours :)
    Good luck finishing up everything! - Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you , thank you. Can't wait for zinnias galore, really thank you for indulging me with the bird/deer netting protection in 90 degree heat. What a trooper. Reinforcements on the way soon...xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's looking good!!! :) i'll give you a big thank you, too, because i'm going to reap the benefits of the garden too! xoxo - meg

    ReplyDelete