Friday, December 3, 2010

How to Make a Boxwood Wreath

For the last three years, my mom, sister and I have had a tradition of making a boxwood wreath on the day after Thanksgiving. It's awesome to have a homemade decoration when I get back to my house! I think it costs about $7 so it's also way cheaper than buying one.

You start with one of these - whatever size you like.



And some of these.



Then you need to clip a bunch of boxwood pieces (hopefully free from your own yard if you have it) and soak it in water for a few hours (the reason for the metal tub). After that we cover the table with a big plastic tablecloth and spread the boxwood out on it.



Take a bunch of boxwood and use one of the metal pins to push it into the wreath form.



Continue around in a circle (so that all the pieces face the same way) spacing the pieces so you cover the pin you just pushed in, until you've covered one entire side. The flip it over and start working on the back (because you will see that side through the door).





You end up with a finished product like this beauty. I mixed some other greens in with mine this year, but a pure boxwood wreath is beautiful as well.



My mom is an amazing bow-maker. She usually makes me a gorgeous red bow to go on my wreath. This year I declined her bow offer because I still had my bow from last year at home. When I got home, I found my bow all flat and crinkled. So sad. I tried to repair it myself with the iron, which proved to be more frustrating than I anticipated. I was a little disappointed with the result but used it anyway :)

You can't tell from far away that she's less than perfect. Here you go! Finished product!

2 comments:

  1. Now it's looking like Christmas!!! Just need some SNOW but you have a better chance of that than we do! Great job on your wreath! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's not true anymore now is it, Mom?! cause who got more snow this weekend??? :) Beeeuuutiful wreaths and I appreciate all of the help with mine, the lone purist this year. So glad we have that tradition, and thanks for teaching us, Mom!!

    ReplyDelete