Anyway. If you've talked to me in the past two weeks, you probably already know what I'm going to say in this post so feel free to skip reading it :)
Shrooms. You read that title right. I'm going to talk about my new enemy - the lawn mushroom.
After all the rain we've had, they are EVERYWHERE! Our backyard has become a mushroom kingdom. I guess I should classify this as a "keeping it real" post because these things are a real pain in my ass.
I think all the rain we've had lately plus a lack of grass in the backyard makes it a prime breeding ground. If we didn't have a dog, I wouldn't worry about them, but I'm terrified that Willow is going to eat one of these guys :(
We have all shapes, sizes, and colors.
All my online research has said there's no good way to get rid of them, so for now we're doing this....
(Just FYI in case they're poisionous I wear gloves and encourage Matt to do the same but you see where that gets me.)
My aunt has a lot of knowledge about natural methods to rid yards of pesky things and she sent me some suggestions for fertilizing so I'll let you know how that goes once we get around to it.
They grow right back after a few days so I'm getting a bit resentful of their invasion on my free time.
Plus, Will just loves to be in the backyard.
How could I leave her back there alone with these lurking around?
I find it ironic we just invested in a fence so she could be in the yard alone, yet we can't leave her back there unattended.
Ug.
Robert thinks you need to adjust your thinking and consider these "friendly fungus"! We spent $1/ounce yesterday at the farmer's market for shiitake mushrooms which are grown on OAK logs!! You could be sitting on a gold mine, Chels!!!! But I do know what a pain they are with pets- they sprout up in our yards here under the live oaks. Luckily Gordy and Poke ignore them!
ReplyDeleteThere are a ton behind my house too- I worry Stella is going to eat them but she doesn't seem to be interested in them at all!! Good luck :(
ReplyDeleteI can't believe the variety of fungi you have in your backyard! Hope they don't last too much longer!!! Poor Nuggie, she loves her backyard so much! She just wants to go outside and PLAY! xoxo Meg
ReplyDelete