Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Vermont 50

Wow - sorry for being a delinquent blogger. The blog is the first thing to go when life gets busy apparently!

We had a wonderful weekend with Meg visiting and spending time at the lake (I took NO pictures...can you believe it?) plus a big event for Matt (I took lots of pics of this so I'm sharing about it for now). I have lots more to share about the house but I'll get there eventually :)

SO. The Vermont 50 is a benefit for Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports. It's a 50 mile mountain bike/ultra run. Matt signed up with a friend and trained for weeks! 50 miles off road on a bike sounded like torture to me but he was excited :)

I have posted a bit about this, but we've had a pretty rainy year. The spring floods plus Hurricane Irene, plus lots of other rain recently (excluding weekend days for the most part thankfully) led to pretty muddy conditions on race day. The day itself was gorgeous and sunny - 78 degrees - warm for fall in Vermont!

The race was held at Ascutney Mountain Resort in southern Vermont and it was beautiful to see all the leaves starting to change.







What a great event - a beer tent and live band entertained bikers/runners/spectators at the finish line.







Matt is still waiting for his official race photo.




The end of the course...




Cousin joined me for the day of fun :)




We arrived pretty early because Matt wasn't sure how long it would take them to finish. It took 7 hours and 50 minutes. WOW. He was happy with that time. We picked a spot to wait and camped out for about an hour...




While we waited, we had a few false spottings. I knew Matt was wearing a yellow shirt and black pants and I knew he had a white helmet, but it was difficult to tell from a distance. I took pics of every potential Matt coming down just to be sure :) Here are a few of the mistakes...







Finally we spotted Matt and Ilsley...







Matt posed for a picture - that is not a thumbs down signal according to him - more of a fist raised in victory. I was relieved he was in such good spirits. I wasn't sure how he would come across the finish after 50 muddy miles on a mountain bike.







The proud bikers - they weren't clean :)







Matt is convinced he needs a new bike now. What else is new?




Luckily the race organizers thought of everything...




Dirt...










All I could think was oh my look at those WHITE FEET! Yikes! Haha.




Fun times! I'm so proud of these guys - what an accomplishment. A special thanks to cousin for joining me too :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment