Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bathroom Facelift #2

We love our new house, but the bathrooms are definitely not its strongest feature. I knew something needed to be done so I would feel better about them. Bathroom #1 was a quick, easy and cheap makeover thanks to the new vanity put in by our new plumber :)

Bathroom #2 was a little more of a challenge. We started with a white tile floor complete with a pink border. The toilet looks as if it was recently replaced, which is great, but the tile around it was also replaced with a brighter white than the rest of the floor. The walls around the toilet and sink have blue tile on them. The other walls at one time had wallpaper that had been painted over. There is a full tub, but with some outdated glass doors on it. There's a large window without any type of blinds, leaving you exposed to everyone next door when getting out of the shower. In summary, lots of great things going on in here but they didn't all fit together like I wanted!

Here is the before:







Here it is with a few improvements (I apologize for the poor picture quality, it's a big space but difficult to get good pictures!):

I started by reusing the shower curtain and valance that my mom made for our last bathroom, hanging a tension rod over the glass shower doors.



I also reused the curtain my mom made for our last bathroom and hung it over a rattan shade we bought at Lowes. I found mini-blinds in the basement that fit in the window (luckily). Rattan shades don't block the view in from the outside, but I find them much more attractive than mini-blinds! I also put a new coat of paint on all the walls and trim with leftover paint we had from our bedroom.



My mom had some leftover fabric from her last bathroom sewing project and was nice enough to make a sink skirt for us!



The biggest challenge of all was the floor. It took me a while to figure out the best solution. I spent hours on the internet looking for tiles and non-permanent flooring solutions. I ended up ordering an inexpensive indoor/outdoor rug. It wasn't fun trying to use a box cutter to cut it to fit in the bathroom, but I made out with only a small cut on my finger. (ha!)

I then took the rug to the carpet place down the road to have it bound. The guys in there found me very amusing. They couldn't understand why in the world I was cutting a rug to fit around a toilet. I first asked if they thought I could buy the edging and use a hot glue gun to bind it myself. They laughed. They then agreed to bind it for me and reported afterward that none of my cuts were straight, but they "just went with it." Anyway - it's finished and in the bathroom and I think it's so much better!





What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. A-MAZING!!! Best before and after I have ever seen! :) I think I am mnost impressed with the carpet. Can't wait to come see it in person! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Looks very Chelsea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Love it! So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good heavens...a leaning sink?? I am an OK seamstress but accommodating a "leaner" from 500 miles away is out of my league...sorry..looks like you did the best fit job you could! Actually, I think I remember noticing it when i was there but it defied modifications. whatever! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete