So I've been anticipating the start of my first "real" job since I decided I wanted to be an Occupational Therapist way back when...Now after two and a half years of class and countless hours of unpaid clinical time, I actually earn a paycheck! Yay!
I work as an OT in a school that serves grades Pre-K to 8th. What a range! I have far more kids in the Pre-K and Kindergarten age range than the older kids, but it's nice to get experience with them all. The school itself is an "Open Plan" school, a style that was popular in the US in the 1950's-70's. You can google it for more info, but the basic concept is that the interior of the school (both upper and lower floors) have NO WALLS between the classrooms. Some teachers put up bookshelves, etc in order to divide their space but for the most part things are all open. It's a crazy thing to get used to!
There are lots of reasons why I love this job so far, but here are the top ones:
1. The kids. They are ADORABLE - I wish I could share some photos! You have to trust me that they are so so cute. For the most part they are all happy and excited to be at school! They try so hard and their sweetness wins me over every time.
2. The teachers and other staff. When we decided to move to Vermont, we heard a lot about "Vermonters." We often heard that they are nice, but not in an "in-your-business Southern type way." I have to say everyone has been incredibly nice and helpful, much more so than I expected! The one comment I do hear from almost everyone after meeting them is, "Well...you sound like you MUST be from the South. Where ARE you from?" I never thought I had too much of an accent, guess I was wrong.
3. Working 3 days a week. I've been easing slowly into the working world again. I take Wednesdays off right now. It's awesome. By the time I'm getting tired of waking up at 5:30am (more on why later), I get a day off. I can work on reports, sleep in, go ski, you name it! I start working Fridays a little closer to home soon, so my 3 day weeks are numbered.
4. I finally have the chance to do what I learned in my almost 3 years of school and it's so fun! Oh yea, and the paycheck is nice too.
There are challenges to every job and this one does have some:
1. The Drive! This is why I need to get up at 5:30. I have to drive about 45 minutes each way to get there. It hasn't been too bad so far...I take a "highway" almost the entire way so that gives me a chance to chat on the phone :) Also, the weather has been great and I have these great views of the mountains both ways.
2. Starting a new job is overwhelming. I'm not only new to the State, I'm also new to the schools in general, as well as new to the profession! I'll get there but it's taking a while to feel comfortable.
That's about it for now. I'm working on getting my bathroom into shape so I can hopefully show some before and after photos soon! I'll leave you with a a pic of Willow and her favorite Mr. Boo the first time she ever visited the lake :)
My favorite picture of our labbies ever! So adorable. I'm really glad you like your job...makes life worth getting up for in the morning! xoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDelete