Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sofa Table

So I've been on the hunt for a sofa table. When you walk into our den, you look right at the back of the sofa and it was driving Matt crazy :) I had very specific measurements that I needed to follow so I thought I'd never find the right one. I was super excited when I was antiquing over my spring break and came across the perfect table at this store.



It was a little bit too tall, but I figured I could make it work.



Do you see those awful blocks on bottom of the legs? I think they were intended to make it more sturdy because it's so narrow, but they were terrible looking!



I thought if I could get those off then the table might be about the right height, but of course they were screwed in!



With screws that were rusted and stripped.



I tried a number of tools to get them out.



Including trying to gouge around the screws so I could pull them out with pliers or a hammer...



Nothing worked. As a last resort, I turned to the saw. Luckily the screws weren't very long, and I needed to take off more than I thought originally to make it fit. It was fairly easy to saw off the bottom part of legs, but a little more of a challenge to make them even!





I cleaned the table using some Murphy's Oil Soap and water and then used sandpaper to even the legs out. They aren't perfect so the table is a little wobbly, but it works!

Next I used this as a stain/finish.





I just put on one coat and then let it dry in the sun. Here is the finished product!



Here are a few pics of it in its new home :) I'm still switching things around on top. I'd like some sort of bowl or tray (my mom's suggestion) to hold mail, etc.



It's pretty skinny...just what I was looking for!



Oh yea and I finally got around to hanging my mirror (with my Mom's help) - here it is...



I'll be back sometime with a post on what we've been up to the last few weeks - can't believe we've been here long enough that it's almost time to go home for a visit :)

3 comments:

  1. I see you are following in your "shabby" mother's footprints! I love it and great find! Don't we love the hunt...!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels!! Finally getting to read this:) The table looks great. There's no way in h%$# that I would be able to get those legs straight...so I think that's the part that I am most impressed with! Looks awesome. And I agree with Mom that you could use some sort of tray. I'll keep my eyes out! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks awesome!!!!! u should put a cool plant on it!

    ReplyDelete