Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mount Mansfield in Winter

After days last week with temps in the 40s we were facing a weekend of temps in the 20s with wind gusts up to 40! Yikes. Is that enough to keep Matt from skiing? Nope. However, we did decide to skip resort skiing and stick to the backcountry. You work more so it keeps you a little warmer (at least I think so).

Lucky for us, the weather man changed his tune and Sunday ended up being sunny and calm. We did a trail called the "Teardrop," which climbs up the back of Mt. Mansfield (Stowe resort is on the other side). Mt. Mansfield is the tallest peak in Vermont...it is shaped like a face (complete with forehead, nose, lips, chin). We climbed to the nose, which happens to be where the weather station is located - you'll see it below.

I'm not gonna lie. It was LONG and HARD. The view was worth it though. Don't you think?



Here are some other pics...The grainy ones are from Matt's phone :)

Starting out headed up the road to the trail.



Fast forward a few hours and we're at the top.





A little creepy looking I think...



Going touring with Willow is a little like training with a drill Sergeant (I wouldn't know, but I imagine). If you ever decide to stop OR really even slow down for a break, she barks. Loud. Right in your face and she doesn't stop.

I look peaceful, but Willow is serenading me in the background.



She did stop briefly to pose for a picture :)



And she had to run to keep up with us once we were skiing so she couldn't even think to bark then (Unless we stopped to do something like take this picture!)....



Here she is trying to keep up with Matt.



Hope you had a good weekend! xo

3 comments:

  1. That looks dangerous darting through those trees. Where are your helmets? Now I am going to worry about you guys all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chels- i just saw this and thought of you. i love this blog bc of her pug pictures but she's also got some great running and cooking tips. http://carrotsncake.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.....yes...the helmet police here, I do remember you were the child who stopped biking because i insisted on you wearing a bike helmet. I second MRS KWS.....where ARE your helmets? Don't you remember Sonny of the famous Sonny and Cher duo DIED bopping in and out of trees on skis (think it was him....)as well as other people?? Hmmm...anyway, just wish I still had the reflexes to do it, beautiful pictures. Love you..xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete