Friday, April 8, 2011

The Kitchen

If you thought the rest of the rest of the house was dated, just wait until you see this. Our kitchen still has the original cabinetry from the 50s - it's metal. This was a state of the art kitchen in its prime. It features rounded and glass front cabinets, a built in wall oven, electric range, and even a pull out mixer stand!

Check it out.







These photos were taken when the previous owner still lived here, but we haven't changed a thing so far so that is how it still looks....

That oven works!! I used it Wednesday night (but I had to slide my casserole in there length-wise as it didn't fit sideways)! The dials light up when you turn it on.

Now. Let me show you a picture of my dream kitchen (Sorry - I can't remember where I found this online).



Scroll back up to the real kitchen. Then look at my dream kitchen. I'd say they are about as different as you can get...

SO - I decided if we were going to buy this house, the kitchen would be the first thing to go.

One day during the purchase prcoess we were in with our builder and home inspector. Guess what? They both LOVED the kitchen. They couldn't figure out why we wanted to replace it! I was flabbergasted. They both told us how vintage it was, in great condition, yadda yadda. Then they mentioned that it was worth some money and if we absolutely wanted to tear it out then we should at least contact the local salvage store to see if they'd be interested.

The phrase "worth some money" of course made me interested. I did some research online and came across this website.

Turns out these cabinets are super popular! Who would've thought? Ours are Geneva, which was one of the nicest brands in the 50s. I emailed pics of our kitchen to the forum moderator and she priced them for me.

I then emailed the local salvage store, who told me they'd give me half that amount. Haha. Matt (who hates going through the hassle of selling anything) told me that I had to take it. So we did! They're coming to remove them in a few weeks. Whew! Here I thought we'd have to pay to have them removed and turns out we can actually make money on them...

I'm going to try and talk them into taking our "vintage" toilets as well :)

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea! OMG! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to see the transitions begin! LOVE keeping up with you through your blog!! Hope to see you in person soon :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen...man o man o man! i bet that was one fiiiiinnnnne kitchen back in the day! :) it is going to be SUCH a transformation! how is that door that wouldn't stay shut? did you finally get it stay closed?!

    ReplyDelete