My mom did the same thing before she bought their lake house and now she has a really cool chandelier hanging above the dining room table. It must be good luck to purchase something for your new house before it's even yours.
Well - I told you I had grand plans for it and I did.
Remember this guy?
Not Matt - what's hanging above him. We have a super tall entry ceiling that is highly visible from the main part of the house and that baby had to go. I had dreams of my antique chicken coop becoming a new light fixture. I wasn't sure how it was going to work but a girl can dream right?
I was inspired by things like this found via Pinterest...
First up, I had to line the basket somehow.
My mom had some burlap that we decided to use as the lining. First we tried making a pattern. It didn't work AT ALL.
My mom finally figured out we should cut the fabric on the bias (whatever that means - I'm not an expert at sewing or crafts) and use a glue gun to attach it.
We started and it looked good!
Woo hoo! Now for the light part. HM. I searched around online for light kits, old chandeliers, etc for weeks and came up with nothing. Then I remembered our old friend.
We tore him apart.
I saved his inner workings...
I had ideas for the glass part but Matt made me throw it away :(
Next I had to figure out how to actually attach it to the basket. The hole at the top was too large for it to stay inside as it was. I went to the hardware store and bought some plywood and my grandpa (it was a family project for sure) helped me cut a circle to attach to the light so it would stay inside. Please excuse my outfit - this is what I look like at the lake.
It required an assortment of tools.
Hooray!
I used screws to attach it to the original fixture and then spray painted the whole shebang.
I then used rope to wind around the chain.
Isn't she purty?
Then I had to wait a month until they were done with construction for the big reveal. What do you think?
I love it!
xo

i LOVE it!!! looks AMAZING and such a transformation! and i love how the light reflects with the pattern of the "chicken coop"- turned-light-fixture! glad i could be there to witness so much of the project! love!! xoxo meg
ReplyDeleteholy cow....i cant believe yall did that!!!
ReplyDeleteThe ultimate DIY family lake project for sure. And that "burlap" was actually a recycled "tobacco sheet" from your Uncle Billy's tobacco farm; they use it to tie up the bundles of cured tobacco to take to the warehouse and sell. So three cheers for re-purposing and such!! Love it Chels! xoxoxoxo mom
ReplyDeleteI'm so impressed! And inspired - someday I'll show you what I'm up to (if it every gets done!!) xoxo Aunt Char
ReplyDelete