It's a Yellow Pimpernel. Have you ever seen one before? I bet not. I hadn't had any experience with the plant before my parents began construction on their lake house. You can read all you never wanted to know about it here.
The Yellow Pimpernel is a threatened plant species in the state of Vermont and my parents happen to have a whole bunch of it on their property. They applied for a building permit to begin construction on the lake house and were blocked last minute by a lover of the Pimpernel who was concerned that it might go extinct. I won't go into the whole long story, but they ended up having their property inspected by a Botanist from the state of VT (which they had to pay for) who recommended they build protective wood boxes to cover the Pimpernel during the construction process. It has multipled over the last few years. I think the Botanist first counted 17 and last year the number had grown to over 100. He hasn't visited yet this year.
Anyway, the Pimpernel is in bloom. I wish it made a little more of a statement.
Thank you for devoting a page in your blog book to this very very important piece of native Vermont plant life. And please remind my yard man not to mow recklessly in my absence. xoxoxoxoxoo
ReplyDeleteHA! Beware of the pimpernel!
ReplyDeleteWhy do you have to be so dismissive of this plant? So it slowed your parents plans a little and inconvenienced them a bit. Their lake house still looks pretty nice to me. Why should the taxpayers pay for a botanist to monitor and protect this plant from your parents construction project? If you and your parents had done this from the beginning your neighbor wouldn't have called the state.
ReplyDelete