Friday, April 15, 2011

Training

I've been running. It feels like I'm running all the time, when I actually only go 4 days a week. I'm doing a modified version of this program, recommended to me by a friend up here. It is a 12 week program and you're supposed to do a stretch/strengthen day as well as cross training. I skip the stretching and count skiing as cross training. That works, right?

My body hurts all over. Is it normal for your sides and back to ache as well as your legs? Good thing I'm only doing the half marathon - I'm not sure my body would forgive me if I tried an actual marathon. Perhaps the lack of stretching is my problem? I started today after my 11 mile run. Better late than never!

I also tried one of these on my run today.



My sister recommended I try some sort of gel or cubes when training. It made me feel GREAT. It almost felt like I was cheating the system or something with all the caffeine and sugar! Perhaps I'll eat 2 of those during the real race.....

I realized this morning that I haven't set a goal time for the race so I'm going to put it out here for everyone to know. Hopefully it'll spur me on. I'm going to try and run in under 2 hours (which is around 9 minute miles). I ran 9:30 miles today and I'm really hoping the adrenaline will kick in on race day to help me go a bit faster. Any tips from the experts out there (MEG?!)?

I run May 1st! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Years ago, the only 1/2 marathon I ever did was on the cobblestoned streets in Williamsburg, VA. I was going for the 2 hours too...I recall I did it in 2 hrs and 40 seconds. Geeezzzz...oh well. That was on cobblestones. And I had three kids. And my running/training partner pulled out a week before the race with a knee injury ! Pressure's on..ha ha. You'll do great! xoxoxoxox mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think the stretching would make you feel better. As a former dancer, I think the stretching is the most important part. Buy a yoga video or something you can do at home. I know you can do it though!!! Can't wait to hear the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so proud of you, chels!! you are gonna kick butt, i just know it. i did very litle stretching and was fine:). just pace yourself and you'll be GREAT! wish i could be there to cheer you on!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete