Sunday, March 6, 2011

House Hunting Update

Sorry for my lack of posts! We've been busy up here. I wanted to give you a quick update on our house hunt...

When we first decided to move to Vermont, I began to dream about my future Vermont house.

I figured we would end up with something like this...




or this...




or this...after all it is Vermont! Everything here is rural and charming...



The first 2 are houses on home swap, the third actually a bed and breakfast.

I even thought about the potential of finding my ultimate dream house - a restored barn. Ah. Something like this...




I figured we could find something we loved in a neighborhood we liked for about 300-350K or so. Right?

If I could go back in time, I would laugh in my own face. New England charm doesn't come cheap.

When I started searching for real estate up here in Vermont, I began to get the feeling that our price range afforded us something more like this:



Ok - maybe I'm exaggerating. In all seriousness, I meant it when I said things are expensive here y'all!

Once I adjusted my expectations to something a little more realistic, I realized we could find something great but that it probably wasn't going to look like what I'd first pictured.

We've been searching, and searching, and searching, and searching, and....well....you get the point. We looked at all styles, in all neighborhoods, of all sizes. I fell in love with a nighborhood that we were afraid was out of our price range, but we got lucky :)

We found a great house and made an offer that was accepted! I'm not going to post pictures until we've closed (a few weeks from now and we still have a few things to check off before then), but we're super excited! It has "passed" inspection (as well as a 50 year old house can) and we've done a walk through with a contractor to get an idea of how much we can do now and what will have to wait until later. We're doing some updates since the house remains in its original 1950's glory.

It's going to make for some great before and afters!

3 comments:

  1. So excited for you both....best of luck with the closing. Can't wait for the "moms" to help decorate this one! I love a challenge! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAAAAY! I am so excited for y'all and I can't wait to hear more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO EXCITING!!!! Mainly because we know what comes after the house.....hahahahaha! Just kidding!! Hope yall are enjoying all the snow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete